Mycelial Growth of Pink Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus djamour) on Banana Sucrose Gulaman and Fruiting Body Production on Banana-Based Substrate Formulations

Lourilaine A. Silva, Rich Milton R. Dulay, Sofronio P. Kalaw

Abstract


This study evaluated the mycelial growth of Pleurotus djamour on banana sucrose gulaman and fruiting body production on banana-based substrate formulations. Fruits of three local banana varieties, namely lakatan, latundan, and saba were used in the preparation of culture media. The mycelial growth and mycelial density were determined. Moreover, different banana-based substrate formulations such as 100% banana leaves, 75% banana leaves + 25% sawdust, 50% banana leaves + 50% sawdust, 25% banana leaves + 75% sawdust,  and 100% sawdust were evaluated. The rice straw-based substrate formulation consisting of 70% rice straw and 30% sawdust was used as the control. Saba sucrose gulaman exhibited faster mycelial growth (11.79mm / day) and thick mycelial density. On the other hand, potato dextrose agar (control) recorded the smallest mycelial growth (9.33 mm / day) and very thick mycelial density. Among the different substrate formulations, 70% rice straw + 30% sawdust (control) exhibited shorter incubation period (26.73 days) and shorter duration of primordial formation (28.93days). However, 50% banana leaves + 50% sawdust exhibited highest yield (136.51 g) and highest biological efficiency (19.50%).


Keywords


banana wastes; banana sucrose gulaman; biological efficiency; mycelial growth; pink oyster mushroom

Full Text:

PDF

References


Acharya, K., S. Khatua S, and S. Ray S. 2017. “Quality Assessment and Antioxidant Study of Pleurotus djamor (Rumph. ex Fr.) Boedijn.” Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 7(6): 105–110.

Adebayo, E. A. , M. B. Alao, O. O. Olatunbosun, E. O. Omeleye, and O.B. Omisakin. 2014. “Yield Evaluation of Pleurotus pulmonarius (Oyster Mushroom) on Different Agricultural Wastes and Various Grains for Spawn Production.” Ife Journal of Science 6(3): 475–480.

Aurore, G., B. Parfait, and L. Fahrasmane. 2009. “Bananas—Raw Materials for Making Processed Food Products.” Trends in Food Science Technology 20:78–91.

Bhatti, M. A., F. A. Mir, and M. Siddiq.1987. “Effect of Different Bedding Materials on Relative Yield of Oyster Mushroom in the Successive Flushes.” Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Research 8: 256–259.

Borges, G. M., F. F. De Barba, A. P. Schiebbelbein, B. P. Pereira, M. B. Chaves, M. L. Silveira, M. S. Pinho, and E. Wisbeck. 2013. “Extracellular Polysaccharide Production by a Strain of Pleurotus djamor Isolated in the South of Brazil and Antitumor Activity on Sarcoma 180.” Brazil Journal of Microbiology 44:1059–1065.

Bumanlag, C. P. B., S. P. Kalaw, R. M. R. Dulay, and R. G. Reyes. 2018. “Optimum Conditions for Mycelial Growth and Basidiocarp Production of Pleurotus djamour on Corn-based Media.” International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences. 7(4): 558–575.

Chang, S. T. and P. G. Miles. 2004. Mushroom Cultivation, Nutritive Value, Medicinal Effect, and Environmental Impact. 2nd ed. USA: CRC Press.

De Carvalho, C. S. M., L. V. D. De Aguilar, C. Sales-Campos, Minhoni, M. T. A. Marli, and M. C. N. De Andrade. 2012. “Applicability of the Use of Wastes from Different Banana Cultivars for

Cultivation of the Oyster Mushroom.” Brazilian Journal of Microbiology 43 (2): 819–826

Dulay, R. M. R., L. A. Miranda, J.S. Malasaga, S. P. Kalaw, R. G. Reyes, and C. T. Hou. 2017. “Antioxidant and Antibacterial Activities of Acetonitrile and Hexane Extracts of Lentinus tigrinus and Pleurotus djamour.” Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology 9:141-144.

De Leon, A. M., R. G. Reyes, and T. T. E. De La Cruz. 2014. “Lentinus squarrosulus and Polyporus grammocephalus: Newly Domesticated, Wild Edible Macrofungi from the Philippines.” Philippine Agricultural Scientist 96(4):411–418.

Egbebi, A. O. and T. A. Bademosi. 2012. “Chemical Composition of Ripe and Unripe Banana and Plaintain.” International Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 1(1):1–5.

Espino, R. R. C. and M. R. C. Espino. 2015. “The Status of the Fruit Industry in the Philippines.” Food and Fertilizer Center for the Asian and Pacific Region. Taipei, Taiwan. http: www.fftc.agnet.org/library.php?func=view&id=20150810090507

Jegadeesha, R., N. L. Raamana, V. Hariprasatha, Rameshc, and R. Srikumarc. 2014. “Hypolipidemic Effect of Pleurotusdjamor var. roseus in Experimentally Induced Hypercholesteromic Rats.” Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological, and Chemical Sciences 5(2):581–588.

Hoa, H. T., C. L. Wang, and C. H. Wang. 2015. “The Effects of Different Substrates on the Growth, Yield, and Nutritional Composition of Two Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus and Pleurotus cystidiosus).” Mycobiology. 43 (4):423–34.

Girmay, Z., W. Gorems, G. Birhanu, and S. Zewdie. 2016. “Growth and Yield Performance of Pleurotusostreatus (Jacq. Fr.) Kumm (oyster mushroom) on Different Substrates.” AMB Express 6(1): 87.

Kalaw, S. P. and R. F. Albinto. 2015. “Growth Performance and Nutritional Attributes of Pleurotus species Grown on Rice Straw-based Formulations.” Advances in Environmental Biology 9(18):72–81.

Liang, Z. C., C. Y. Wu, Z. L. Shieh, and S. L. Cheng. 2009. “Utilization of Grass Plants for Cultivation of Pleurotuscitrinopeleatus.” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation 63(4):509–514.

Magday, J. C., M. E. Bungihan, and R. M. R. Dulay. 2014. “Optimization of Mycelial Growth and Cultivation of Fruiting Body of Philippine Strain of Ganodermalucidum.” Current Research in Environment and Applied Mycology 4(22):162–172.

Mondal, S. R., M. J. Rehana, M. S. Noman, and S. K. Adhikary. 2010. “Comparative Study on Growth and Yield Performance of Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus florida) on Different Substrates.” Journal of Bangladesh Agricultural University 8(2):213–220.

Moonmoon, M., N. S. Shelly, M. A. Khan, M. A. Uddin, K. Hossain, M. Tania, and S. Ahmed. 2010. “Effects of Different Levels of Wheat Bran, Rice Bran, and Maize Powder Supplementation with Saw Dust on the Production of Shiitake Mushroom (Lentinusedodes (Berk.) Singer).” Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences 18: 323–328.

Obodai, M., J. Cleland-Okine, and K. Vowoto. 2003. “Comparative Study on the Growth and Yield

of Pleurotusostreatus mushroom on Different Lignocellulosic By-products.” Journal of Indian Microbiology and Biotechnology 30:146–149.

Oseni, T. O., S. S. Dube, P. K. Wahome, M. T. Masarirambi, and D. Earnshaw. 2012. “Effect of Wheat Bran Supplement on Growth and Yield of Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus Ostreatus) on Fermented Pine Sawdust Substrate.” Experimental Agriculture and Horticulture: 30–40.

Padam, B. S., H. S. Tin, F. Y. Chye, and M. I. Abdullah. 2014. “Banana By-products: An Under-utilized Renewable Food Biomass with Great Potential.” Journal of Food Science and Technology 51 (12): 3527–3545.

Philippine Statistics Authority. 2015. Selected Statistics on Agriculture. Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority.

Sasidhara, R. and T. Thirunalasundari. 2014. “Phytochemicals and Antioxidant Potentials of Pleurotus djamour.” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research 6(4):950–953.

Samuel, A. A. and T. L. Eugene. 2012. “Growth Performance and Yield of Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus Ostreatus) on Different Substrates Composition in Buea South West Cameroon.” Science Journal of Biochemistry 2012: 1-6. doi: 10.7237/sjbch/139.

Shah, Z. A., M. Ashraf, nd M. Ishtiaq. 2004. C”omparative Study on Cultivation and Yield Performance of Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) on Different Substrates (Wheat Straw, Leaves, Saw Dust).” Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 3 (3):158–160.

Tirkey, V. J., S. Simon, and A. A. Lal. 2017. “Efficacy of Different Substrates on the Growth, Yield, and Nutritional Composition of Oyster Mushroom, Pleurotus florida (Mont.) Singer.” Journal Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 6(4):1097–1100.

United States Department of Agriculture. 2011. “United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28.”

https://ods.od.nih.gov/pubs/usdandb/Zinc-Content.pdf

Villacera, A. B., S. P. Kalaw, P. S. Nitural, E. A. Abella, and R. G. Reyes. 2006. “Cultivation of Thai and Japanese Strains of Pleurotus sajor – caju on Rice Straw-based Volvariella volvacea Mushroom Spent and Composted Rice Straw in Central Luzon Region, Philippines.” Journal of Agricultural Technology. 2(1):69–75.

Zurbano, L. Y., A. D. Bellere, L. C. Savilla. 2017. “Mycelial Growth, Fruiting Body Production, and Proximate Composition of P. Djamour on Different Substrates.” The CLSU International Journal of Science and Technology 2(1): 20–30.




DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.22137/ijst.2018.v3n2.04

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.